Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Review- Cookplus SS cookware


Easy to clean and Safe for your health
By bnhmom from maryland. on 9/17/2011
4out of 5
Pros: Quality Materials, Easy To Use, Durable, Safety Features, Good Design
Cons: Heavy bulky
Best Uses: Outside, Inside, Gifts, Best to cook a meal for 2, Big Jobs, Small Jobs
Describe Yourself: Casual Do-It-Yourselfer
I have mostly used non stick cookware in the past. However, with all the health risks the non stick cookware is posing, I thought that it's time to get some stainless steel cookware. I have ordered this when it went on sale and am glad I did so. I think this is the best purchase that I have ever made. These are a few reasons why:

1. 18/10 stainless steel: Steel which is a combination of different metals like iron and carbon cannot be ideally used as cookware because it is not durable, rusting and corrosive. Hence 18% of chromium and 10%of nickel (sometimes 8% of nickel as in the case of 18/8 SS) are added to steel that is used to manufacture cookware. Hence 18/10 SS cookware is always high in quality. I have used one 18/10 sauce pan in the past to boil milk and cleaning was very easy (you know how difficult it is to clean the layer that forms at the bottom if you use a normal SS pan).

2. 3 layer bottom: The 3 layer bottom is a sandwich capsule made of 18/10 SS, Aluminium & 18/0 SS. Experts say that a SS cookware to be effective, it should have an aluminium or Copper base. This would enable quick and even distribution of heat. This reduces the hotspots and food will not stick easily. It will be even better if this 3 layer thickness is not just limited to the bottom.

3. Side rims: This cookware has a side/pouring rim which I think was better thought. When I have to transfer the cooked food (especially if it is liquidy), I can do so without any mess. I don't mind if these rims are little bit broader and smooth.

4. Glass lid: These lids are glass which helps me see the food cooking through it. I don't have to lift it up each time I want to check the status of the food. It also says that the lid is eco friendly and it can't get better. Also, I have noticed that the lids are tight enough to not let the steam escape. They are not too tight and hence you can lift it up easily. And the lid has a knob as opposed to some cookware which have a handle. My old cookware had a handle on it. My hand got caught in between the handle and the lid a few times which is not so comfortable especially when the lid gets hot.

5. Easy to clean handles:I used to get frustrated when I had to clean my old cookware especially the dark stains around the handles where the bolts are connected (sometimes food runs over and gets stuck around the bolts). But with my Cookplus, it IS easier to clean around the handles.

This cookware also has volume markings. I found it useful when I had to reduce the sauces or milk. I know exactly when they are reduced to half their volume or as desired.
However, I found that there is a discrepancy in what is shown in the website and the booklet that comes with the cookware. The website shows that I can use this cookware in the oven, but it didn't mention anything on up to how much temperature I can use the cookware. Hence I referred to the booklet. Surprisingly, the booklet doesn't say that this can be used in a conventional oven. I think that there should be some clarification on this. There is no warranty information either. So I didn't want to take any chances.
Even though this is dish washer safe, I usually hand wash it in hot soap water. And it is HEAVY. Because of its weight, it's tough for me to clean the cookware.For those people who use the dishwasher, this shouldn't be a problem.

The "Use and Care" guidelines provided were good. I suggest that you always cook food on medium heat. If in case the food sticks to the cookware, you can use the cream of tartar and vinegar paste.

I think that I have found a perfect cookware within my budget, easy to clean and safe for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment