Monday, November 7, 2011

Beetroot, Beerakaya thokku Chutney + $1 deals @Lock N Lock





Before looking at the recipe, let's talk some deals. Lock N Lock has $1 deals in their Clearance section, which means you can get those items for just $1. I have been eyeing on Borosilicate glass 0.5 and 0.6 cups, Zen style food container (3 cup) and the dinner spoons. So I think this is the perfect time to get those items. This offer is valid until Nov 14th. So, go ahead and grab them before they are gone (and try your luck with the free $100 gift card. The sweepstakes end Nov 7th). 


Ridge gourd/Beerakaya curry (made with milk) is one of my DD favorites. So, it is natural that we have this vegetable in our refrigerator almost always. Its skin is high in fiber and is edible. And it’s my DH policy that anything healthy should not be thrown away. And naturally, the peeled off skin find its way into beerakaya thokku chutney. I was so bored of the same chutney twice or thrice a week. So I was looking for some ideas where I can mix other vegetables in this chutney. I have found a couple of beet roots at the back of the vegetable tray and I wanted to use them. They were not big enough to make a fry for me and DH. And hence the dish beetroot beerakaya thokku chutney. When I made this for the first time, my daughter wanted it taste because of its enticing color. But it was too spicy for her. The next time I made it less spicy and she used it as bread spread!!! Now, off to the recipe.


Ingredients:

For popu/tadka:

Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Dry red chillis - 3
Curry leaves
Oil - 1 tbsp

For the chutney:

Beerakaya Skin - skin of 2 large ridge gourds
Beet root - 2 small
Green chillis - 10 (more/less depending on the spiciness required)
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Oil - 3 tbsp

Note: You may add popu/tadka/seasoning before/after grinding the beerakaya & beetroot. 

Method:

1.    Peel the skin off of beet root and wash and grate it. Keep this aside. Wash the ridge gourd skin.
2.    Heat oil in a frying pan. Add grated beet root and fry this for 5 minutes on medium flame.

3. Add ridge gourd skin, green chillies and coriander seeds and fry until the raw smell is gone.
4.    Grind the fried ingredients into a fine paste. Add little bit of water if you need to. Transfer this into a serving dish.
5.    Now heat oil in a frying pan. Add Chana dal, Urad dal, mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves.
6.    Pour this over the beerakaya thokku and beet root paste. 



No comments:

Post a Comment