Thursday, January 26, 2012

Flax Seeds/Alsi Seeds karam podi

I used to work for a pharmaceutical company where the employees would get vitamins for free almost. So once I saw an employee getting a bottle of flax seed vitamins. And when I asked, she explained me all about the flax seeds. And later, in an Indian grocery store, I saw packets of these flax seeds also known as alsi seeds. They look just like sesame seeds. So I bought a packet just to try, but I didn't know how to use them. And then I came across this recipe. I gave it a try and it was a hit.

Recipe Source: Sailus Food

I haven't used the curry leaves and the dals which the original recipe asked for and doubled up the coriander seeds. I used Cumin powder as I already have it in the pantry.

Ingredients:

Flax seeds - 1/2 cup

Coriander seeds - 2 tbsps
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Dry red chillies - 10
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp

Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsps oil

Method:

1.  Heat oil in a frying pan. Roast the coriander seeds on medium heat and dry red chillies for about 5 minutes. Remove and keep them aside.
2. Now, roast the flax seeds on medium heat until they give that crackling sound. Remove and keep them aside.
3. After the roasted seeds cool down, grind them along with roasted coriander seeds, red chillies, asafoetida. Add cumin powder and salt as well.

Serving tip: This goes well with tiffins like idlis & dosas. I also use this instead of curry powder when making curries. Another great idea is to add a tsp or two to onion raitha and serve it with chapathi. This tastes very heavenly. Trust me!

It is always a good idea to store this karam podi (or for that matter any karam podi) in an airtight container. I always store mine in the LNL air tight containers. I make the karam podi in large quantities, store them in the air tight containers. But I take few portions and store them in the Silby seasoning container set and this set stays on my dining table. What I like about this set is that the containers are airtight. The set has 3 containers, available in plain as well as wave body, and comes with a stand which holds all the 3 containers. Each container in the set is 1.7 cup and is completely lead free. What more can we ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment